Trading in the stock market has a fixed specific time which has been elaborated in this article on stock market timings India.
Normal timing for trading in stock market India for the equity market is between 9.15 a.m.- 3.30 p.m. from Monday to Friday which is applicable to both BSE as well as NSE, where retail investors buy or sell the stocks.
The commodity market has different timing for trading which is longer than the equity market
Stock market timing in India mainly divided into the following 4 sessions:
- Pre-opening session
- Normal session
- Closing session
- Post-closing session
These are further explained below in detail.
Stock market timings in India:
The stock market is a market where working takes place only in the specific time given to it which is of 5 days a week from Monday to Friday.
Stock market timings in India for the equity market is 9.15 a.m.- 3.30 p.m. while 10:00 AM to 11:30 PM for the commodity market (MCX) as well as normal timing for Agri-community (NCDEX) timing is 10:00 AM to 05:00 PM from Monday to Friday.
There is continuous trading takes place during this time period without any break.
In these stock market timings, every second is important for the traders due to the fluctuation in the stock price.
There is no lunch or tea break in these timings of the stock market unlike in the banks or other government offices.
Now let’s understand how these Indian stock market timings takes place in different sessions.
Different sessions in the Indian stock market timings:
There are 4 exact sessions in which stock market trading takes place:
- Pre-opening session
- Normal/regular session
- Closing session
- Post-closing session
Now, understand each of these briefly.
1. Pre-opening session:
As the name suggests this session starts before the actual stock market opens that is from 9.00 a.m.- 9.15 a.m.
The pre-opening session is further divided into the following 3 sessions as per the stock exchange.
- 9:00 AM to 9:08 AM:
- This timing session in the stock market is known as an order entry session
- The orders placed between this period can be cancelled according to need.
- Orders placed during this period get preference in the normal trading session.
- After this period ends no orders can be placed.
- This is the golden period for executing orders in the stock market.
2. 9:08 AM to 9:12 AM:
- This period is responsible for determining the stock price.
- No orders can be cancelled in this period.
- In this period price matching orders take place due to which calculation of order price can be determined.
3. 9:12 AM to 9:15 AM:
- At this period no orders can be placed or no bets can be revoked.
- 9.12 AM – 9.15 AM period is also known as the transition period between pre-opening of the market & Normal trading time.
- Just after this period ends normal stock market timing starts so, it is also known as the buffer period.
Most traders do not take any trade in the pre-opening session due to which there is high volatility in the normal session takes place.
A bilateral matching system was used to calculate the opening price of a stock in the normal session.
But now a multilateral order matching system is used due to the volatility caused by the bilateral matching system.
Multilateral order matching system reduced the volatility in the normal session of the stock market opening.
2. Normal/regular session:
Normal trading is the session in which most of the trading takes place.
This regular session in Indian stock market lasts from 9.15 AM – 3.30 PM which is the longest in duration among all the sessions.
Some important points about the normal trading session:
- Buying & selling of the stocks is executed based on the bilateral order matching system.
- In a bilateral order matching system transaction is executed only when the buying & selling price matches due to which major fluctuations can be seen in the stock market.
- Due to this great volatility, another system was introduced called a multilateral order matching system.
- The transaction priority is based on time & per price.
Tip (for beginners): Market volatility takes 15-30 minutes as an average time to become stable in the normal trading session then after you can start trading.
3. Closing session:
In the closing session of the Indian stock market, the closing price of the securities determined so it is also known as closing price calculation session.
Some important points about the closing session:
- It starts from 3.30 PM – 3.40 PM which is of 10 minutes.
- The closing price is calculated based on the average trading price in the period between 3 PM – 3.30 PM.
- Weighted average prices of the listed stocks are considered for the calculation of sector indices like nifty & sensex.
4. Post-closing session:
The post-closing session lasts between 3.40 PM – 4.00 PM which is of total 40 minutes.
In the post-closing session, you can buy & sell the stocks.
Orders will be executed based on the presence of adequate buyers & sellers in the market.
The orders are placed on a fixed closing price which was calculated in the closing session, opposite of the trading in the normal session.
This post-closing session is only available for the cash market & not for the futures & options.
Profit of such stocks can be realised on the next trading day.
If the opening price exceeds the closing price you gain profit but if the opening price lowers the closing price you find your loss.
To recover from this loss you can sell it in the pre-opening session between 9.00 AM – 9.08 AM.
Now let’s understand about the Block deal session.
Are you enjoying reading?
Let us know in the comment section.
Block deal session:
The Block deal is a session in which a single order of below 5 Crore rupees or 5 lakh shares can be transacted.
In block deal there are two different timing windows:
- Morning Window: Morning Window lasts from 8.45 AM-9.00 AM which is of 15 minutes.
2. Afternoon Window: Afternoon Window lasts from 2.05 PM-2.20 PM which is also of 15minutes.
Block deal happens usually between two parties at the agreed price by informing the stock exchange.
You can place orders of your chosen company even after the stock market closed, which are known as aftermarket orders.
No transactions can be done here.
Orders will allocate to you on the next trading day.
Special trading session: Muhurat trading
Stock market India offers you a very special session for trading also known as Muhurat trading for the joy of Diwali festival.
Traders consider Muhurat trading as a lucky period to make investment due to this holy festival.
Timing of the muhurat trading is different from the normal trading session & it is for only 60 minutes in the evening time.
It is mostly conducted in the early days of the Diwali festival between 5.30PM – 6.40PM.
Now you have remembered the stock market timings India in detail.
It’s time for some extra knowledge.
If you have little or no money & worrying about how can I invest in stock market then we have a solution.
Here, it is.
Conclusion on stock market timings india:
Stock market timings India divided into different sessions which very along the time.
Pre-opening & post-closing sessions are also the best time for trading other than normal or regular session.
Here’s the chart to remember:
|Sr No.||Session Name||Timing||Purpose|
|1.||Pre-opening Session||9.00AM- 9.15AM||Pre market orders are placed & price calculation is done.|
|2.||Normal Session||9.15AM- 3.30PM||Normal trading is done.|
|3.||Closing Session||3.30PM- 3.40PM||Closing price of the stocks is determined.|
|4.||Post-closing Session||3.40PM- 4.00PM||Orders can be placed on a fixed closing price.|
|5.||Block deal Session||Morning Window: 8.45AM-9.00AM|
Afternoon Window: 2.05PM-2.20PM
|A single transaction of order below 5 Crore rupees or 5 lakh shares can be transacted|
|6.||Aftermarket Orders||From end of the Post-closing Session to the next trading day.||Orders can be placed but no transaction can be done.|
|7.||Muhurat Trading||In the early days of Diwali festival||For the sake of diwali festival.|
You can save it to your device for your convenience.
Thank you for reading itechnoguide article.
Read more – 5 Best Trading Apps In India to Earn Money 2020